facebook pinterest instagram

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Portly pears

I wanted to create a dessert with pears, but I can't drink normal red wine. The strange thing is that I can drink port and it doesn't give me migraines! So I thought I would substitute port for wine and I must say, it was quite delicious, even for a non-fruit-lover like myself!!

All that needs to be done is to heat port with some cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a heavy based pan, that isn't too wide. The pears are then placed in the port and cook for about half an hour. I drizzled the port over the pears and turned them regularly so that the port would really soak in.

After half an hour they should be nice and tender to touch and should have turned a glorious crimson colour. I served mine with some almond custard and regular cream, but, if I had a freezer, I would add a nice serving of vanilla bean ice cream on the side too!!!

2 comments:

  1. mmm dreamy...(and you don't have a freezer! Yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, no freezer? Wow! I love your presentation! When you open your restaurant someday, I'll say I knew you when!

    ReplyDelete