facebook pinterest instagram

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mini degustation

We went to Northern Wales with a wonderful group of friends for the Easter long weekend, and each were responsible for one main meal. This is what we created:


Course 1
Celeraic soup


The idea behind this soup was that I was trying to recreate a soup we had in the Cottswolds for our anniversary last month. The soup we made at Easter didn't work as well as I was without my tools, so this photo is "one I prepared earlier". I boiled one celeraic, some eshallots, stock and salt and pepper until soft. I then blended the vegetables until smooth.  I then blended the soup with some cream to get some air in it and it was divine.

Course 2
Avocado with garlic and chilli king prawns


I usually make this sort of dish in Summer in Australia, and as we were predicted some warm weather for Easter so I decided to bring it out again! Warm it was not, but delicious the prawns were anyway.

I simply marinated the raw green king prawns in garlic, oil and chilli overnight. They only needed about 2-3 minutes to cook each side in the pan.

Meanwhile I cut a few avo's in half and de-seed them. I then put the cooked prawns on top and drizzle some of the garlic and chilli oil goodness on top!

Course 3
Coconut crab cakes


I wish this recipe was one of my own, but it is taken from Nigella Lawson's "Kitchen" cook book.
The ease of these is very appealing! Combine white crab meat (can be tinned, hence the ease), coconut, chilli, fresh coriander, a little oil and a few tablespoons of flour to help bind. Roll the mixture into small balls and shallow fry for 7-10 minutes until golden brown. A little sweet chilli sauce would accompany this dish well too!
Course 4
Thai Beef Salad


Another summery meal we used to make a lot in Australia (my first housemate Mikaela Ring actually made this the first time, and 7 years later, I'm still making it). The ingredients are all very fresh and kind of tastes like you're munching away on a herb garden, in a good way! Combine fresh mint, basil, coriander, chilli and red onions. Cook beef rump or fillet until cooked but still pink. The sauce is fish sauce, soy, lime and sugar. Combine, drizzle, toss and serve immediately.

Course 5
Chai and Baileys Tiramisu


Just because I can't eat chocolate or coffee, doesn't mean I don't get to have tiramisu!This one uses chai spices and Baileys, in place of the chocolate and coffee that you drench the sponge fingers in.

The marscapone tastes out of this world when combined with baileys. I can't even imagine that I'm missing out on a thing!

I crumbled hazlenuts, almonds, sponge figers and chai spices on top for a little cruch factor, but any nut combination would work.

The only trouble with this is that it is best made a day ahead, which  means a lot of whinging for 24 hours! Worth the wait though, I promise!!!

More Easter cooking to come!

2 comments:

  1. All of these courses look mouth wateringly delicious - where are some pics of the group enjoying them?!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! you are so cute! i love the menu... and the tirimisu looks SO good. can i request a sampling? :)

    ReplyDelete