facebook pinterest instagram

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mango Crumble with blueberry coulis

We miss mangos, a lot. What we wouldn't give for just one Bowen mango right now. This is one of the more exotic fruits that I actually enjoy, not a chore, enjoyment. So to be missing it, feels significant (and highly unexpected).

We bought a mango at the local store, and it was not good. So we bought another one from the markets, and it was a thousand times better. Lesson learned, Tesco is rubbish! This mango was tasty, but nowhere near what we were hoping for, and it just wasn't "score into piece, turn the skin inside out and no rules apply". So I decided to turn it into a crumble!

This was such a simple dessert that I needed to do something a little more interesting with it, so made the blueberry coulis, which sounds far more complicated than it is.

I made the shortcrust pastry with a good hunk of cold butter, probably a cup or so of flour, and about 2 tablespoons of sugar. I kept about a 3rd of this aside to make the crumble top. Making the pastry is just a matter of turning the flour/butter/sugar mix into a breadcrumb consistency and then adding cold water little bit at a time until it is a dough-like consistency.

Once I had rolled out the pastry and cut into rounds to fit my little pie dishes, I simply put in cubes of mango until it was full. Thats it! I was thinking of adding some form of filler, but it really didn't need it. Then added the crumble, which was just the butter/flour/sugar in its breadcrumby form with, of course, a dash of cinnamon.

The blueberry coulis was made using fresh blueberries, some water and sugar. Heating all until the blueberries are mushable, to which instead of pureeing in a blender, I just mushed and mushed in the pan until it resembled puree. Dollop or just pour over the crumble and eat immediately! The warmth does this crumble justice! Its not bowen, but it sure is growin' on me! (stick to cooking yes).


(Jason Bell - when you guys come over for dinner next, this is what I'll make you!)

2 comments:

  1. yum yum yum...looks and sounds delish! You are an inspiration Meg x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg, where is the clotted double cream or dollop would be fine, shall give it a try with a real Bowen.
    Max

    ReplyDelete