facebook pinterest instagram

Monday, February 6, 2012

Mumbo Jumbo Mondays - Foie Gras

I feel like I am years and eons behind the rest of the world who are all aware of foie gras, but, I’m admitting to my ignorance here all in the name of learning!

Foie gras is not typically found on your average menu at the local pub (depending on where your local pub is of course) but seems to be on every menu at every French restaurant we’ve been to in the past year!

It is made from the liver of a duck or goose that has been specially fattened. This fattening is typically achieved through gavage (force-feeding corn over a period of four to five months), according to French law. Apparently it is very expensive, the texture is smooth as silk, the taste is very rich, and animal rights activists go into fits whenever it is mentioned. This is because the birds are force-fed with more food than they would eat in the wild, and are not permitted to exercise, which, creates the huge and fatty liver, that apparently is delicious!

It really doesn’t sound all that appetising to me, and being pregnant it is off the menu anyway, but, I do like at least knowing what it is, when next I hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment