facebook pinterest instagram

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Unveiled........Neil's grooms cake!!

I can finally unveil what I have been working on over these past few weeks! I had the great honour of making the groom's cake for the wedding of our good friends Julie and Neil. In America, it is common to have two cakes, a traditional white wedding cake and then a cake that is meant to represent the groom in some way. It is supposed to be a bit more light hearted and can be either served at the rehearsal dinner the night before, or alongside the wedding cake on the big day.

Neil and Julie were having difficulties finding someone in the UK to make a grooms cake, and Neil's mother Nancy suggested (perhaps tongue in cheek at the time) that I make it! I had a giggle, then tilted my head to the side and said that I could give it a go!

So, I started off making red velvet cakes for practice, but as I cannot eat chocolate, was too nervous making a cake that I couldn't be testing along the way. So I decided to change to a white chocolate mudcake, which is what I made for my own wedding cake, so I was a lot more confident in the actual baking part.

Stage two was shaping the cake. Into a car. But not just any car, it was to resemble Neil's blue International Scout! Thankfully it is a fairly angular car so there wasn't too much challenging shaping to contend with. I did a few practice runs of shaping the cake, which was necessary as the first attempt looked like a box with wheels that my niece would have made.

I will post the recipe tomorrow sometime but thought I might put a few of the photos up to have a look at! I was pleased with it in the end and people even recognised that it was Neil's Scout, so perhaps it didn't just look like a box with wheels! Thank you for recommending me for the job Nancy and I am so pleased that you liked it! I was so honoured to make this special cake for such special friends. Congratulations again Neil and Julie, your wedding was incredible.








Inside details - one bow tie, white feather and peach bouquet.


The beautiful couple, cutting the Scout at their Rehearsal dinner.




4 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Meg you are such a star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing!! You did a fabulous job on this. Can't wait to see the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing! You should totally get into the wedding cake business! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing Meg! =)

    Can't wait to see the recipe!

    ReplyDelete