facebook pinterest instagram

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Beef burger on a potato galette



When I get migraines I get really weak, even if I don't suffer all the symptoms, it still really drains me. So I was feeling quite weak yesterday and decided that a big hunk of beef was required! I bought some organic beef mince and thought that I would come up with something when I got home. 

What I came up with was this (based on what I had in the kitchen).... 

A beef burger made with the organic beef mince, worcestershire sauce, italian herbs, caramelised pickles from the jar and salt and pepper. Combine all of these in a bowl, form into a pattie and cook on medium for about 15-20 minutes until cooked through. 

The was sitting on a potato galette, which is a nicer (and not entirely accurate) way of saying a potato cake I guess! I made this by pre-cooking a potato for about 3-4 minutes in the microwave and then when it had cooled down enough, grated it into a bowl. I added about a tablespoon of plain flour and salt and pepper. I then moulded it into a ball and cooked it in a small amount (2 tablespoons) of oil until browned on both sides. 

I chopped up half an onion into half rings and thinly sliced half a leek. I put these in a small saucepan with a hunk of butter and let it bubble away for a while (maybe 10 minutes). I then added a tablespoon of granulated (raw) sugar and stirred for another few minutes. Just before serving I threw in a few fresh basil leaves, just to see what it would taste like, and it tasted pretty good! I wouldn't put many in, but it gave a nice added flavour to the sweet vegetables. 

There are a few of us here in Oxford who are in a little phase of soft cheeses with garlic and herbed bits in them! It started off as a Boursin-only phase, but has stretched out to any Roulade cheese now! When the potato was ready and the beef pattie was cooked, I simply stacked these together and added a generous (read: heaped) portion of roulade cheese. I placed this in the oven for about 5 minutes on high, to soften the cheese a little. 

Top with the onion/leek mixture and serve alongside a salad (or bun if you so desire). My salad was too small to bother photographing, I didn't have very many ingredients to make an interesting enough salad, so I wolfed it down first and then savoured each and every mouthful of this Beef and potato stack! I had a fair amount of energy today so I think it was a winner!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment