facebook pinterest instagram

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Scallops with asparagus and beetroot mash


I was inspired by the amazing scallops we had this weekend in the Cotswolds, so thought, being pay-day, that I might try and make some myself! These were beautiful.

A bit difficult to make in restricted cooking environments such as student living, so I had all burners on and all Le Creuset pans in action! The sauce is a cream, white wine (or I use dry vermouth so that I don't have to drink mid week quite so often), with some garlic salt as I'm still not able to eat normal garlic, and some fresh flat leaf parsley.


This slowly thickened whilst preparing the mash and asparagus. The mash was made per normal, and then at the end I added the beetroot. This was inspired by our recent dinner out at The Big Bang with the Bells and PlattSmiths. I didn't use quite as much beetroot, but did select the beetroot that is Commissioned by Her Majesty herself, so they must be alright! The asparagus just boiled for 5 minutes and then rolled in some butter before serving. The scallops themselves only cook for 2 minutes either side, and were then put in the sauce to marinate for just a minute or so.

Plated up, took a few fast photos as we wanted to eat this piping hot and enjoyed every last mouthful (and some finger scraping leftover sauce on the plate).

3 comments:

  1. Love the look of this, yum yum, shall give it a try - well done -watch out Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't "have to drink mid-week"! What happens at wine-clock? :)

    Also this looks amazing. I love how you have transformed the beets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beetroot mash looks amazing. I bet yours is 100x better than Big Bang's!!

    ReplyDelete